auto-starting daemons on startup

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 21 14:20:01 2002

>Having said that, I'll describe the process in some detail.

[snip]

>That should be all you need to know if you really need to add new
>things of your own devising to happen at boot time.  But, to repeat,
>you shouldn't do this unless you have to.  It really is very likely
>that whatever you want to do has already been provided for somewhere
>else.

As an example, I'd like to add proftpd to the startup. I have a
script /etc/init.d/proftp that works fine for startup and shutdown
from the command line. So in rc3.d (I boot in runlevel 3), I added:

S92proftp -> ../init.d/proftp

I suppose this is all well and good. BTW, I run proftp in standalone
mode, no [x]inet.

Now, if I run ntsysv, proftp does not show up at all. Also:

root@orion rc3.d]# chkconfig --list proftp
service proftp does not support chkconfig

I'm curious why these observations are as they are. As an experiment,
I changed S55sshd to S93sshd, but running ntsysv caused it to be
changed back to S55. What directory does ntsysv/chkconfig parse to
get its information? And to where does it write after changes have
been made (besides rc#.d)? It almost seems like there is a common set
of daemons that can be started/stopped with ntsysv/chkconfig, to the
exclusion of all others (?)

Stefan Jeglinski