auto-starting daemons on startup

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 21 15:13:00 2002

R:

>Just out of curiosity, why don't want use xinetd here?

Matt:

>On a side note, I prefer pure-ftpd over proftpd, you may want to give it a
>try. Also, it's recommended that you run it through xinetd.

Which one should be run through xinetd, pure or pro? It's unclear
from your statement, Matt.

Regardless: my box doesn't have xinetd on it, never did. I've never
gotten around to putting it on. Also, see:

<http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_SocketBindTight.html>
<http://www.proftpd.org/docs/directives/linked/config_ref_Port.html>

I use both of these directives in their non-default mode, and at one
point in the past anyway, one did not do this and also use inetd.
I've never investigated whether this consideration is now irrelevant
with xinetd. If either of you will investigate this in detail for me
or knows the answer, please fill me in :-) Otherwise, since proftpd
is the only daemon on the box I run for which I would need [x]inetd,
and since it works just fine as is, an xinetd install and
configuration, even if trivial, will take more time than 0 to get
working.

Thanks for your responses.

Stefan Jeglinski