pcmcia modem, titanium 667, YDL 2.2, 2.4 kernel

Stan Cook yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun May 26 18:19:01 2002

Hi all;

Because of the "software modem" problem on the G4, and because I
absolutely need to have "dial out" capability, I have borrowed, with
intent to purchase, a "Global Pillage" 56K pcmcia modem card.

Since I have done all this #$%^&*() before, (ie; read "man pcmcia",
PCMCIA-HOWTO etc) I will just say that I've modified the
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts file for the usual changes. Cardmgr starts and
stops just fine, but it cannot find the card in the /etc/pcmcia/config
file. No problem there, as I'll just have to create an entry once I've
used zmodem to ATI the modem card.

I had everything working on my previous machine, a Wallstreet. After a
little mucking around, I was able to use both my pcmcia modem as well as
my MCE datashuttle pcmcia hard drive.

What I want to know is:
1- Has anyone got a working PCMCIA modem card in their Tibook?
2- If you have, what DEVICE is it being assigned, and what module is
being loaded? It used to be serial-cs.o (or serial_cs.o) I don't see
anything even remotely like that in the /lib/modules/2.4.* /pcmcia
directory.
3- I understood that "yenta" was supposed to "take care of everything"
re: pcmcia stuff. Have I been misinformed?

If I can't get this wretched thing working, I'll be forced to go back to
OS X, which, in my opinion, is pretty, but slower than me picking up a
bill at a restaurant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stan E. Cook