IBM Microdrive (PCMCIA hard drive) on a Powerbook G4?

Chip Witt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon May 27 13:21:01 2002

Fred,

If you've got the Microdrive being recognized as a PCMCIA ATA hard drive
from within KDE, sounds like you're most of the way there. I had
problems getting it working and realized that I wasn't getting as far as
you have gotten due to a misconfiguration in the pcmcia service
(cardmgr) config. Sounds like this is not your problem.

Try this: Open a terminal. Insert the Microdrive. Type, "dmesg". You
should see a device show up as /dev/hde1 (at least that's what it shows
up on my PBTi). Once you get the device name, you can mount it with the
standard, "mount /dev/hde1 /mnt" (or whatever you want the mount point
to be). So long as the filesystem type existing on the Microdrive is a
standard one recognized by your system (see /etc/filesystems), this
should do the trick. If you want to be able to mount it like you do your
/mnt/cdrom, you can place an entry in /etc/fstab like:

/dev/hde1	/mnt/pccard	auto	noauto,rw,user	0	0

Provided the /dev entry is correct, you will then be able to mount the
inserted Microdrive by typing, "mount /mnt/pccard".

If this doesn't work, feel free to contact me directly off-list and I
will try to help you run down the issue(s).
--

CW

Chip Witt, MBA
Witt'z End Technologies

PO Box 885
Cotati, CA  94931-0885
(V) 1-888-719-9277
(F) 1-800-514-3098
(E) chip.witt@wittzend.com
(W) www.wittzend.com

My OpenPGP Public Key is available at www.wittzend.com/chip_pub.html.

Information on GnuPGP can be found at www.gnupg.org.
A good primer on cryptography and how it relates to your electronic life
can be found at http://www.investigateway.com/pcsec/cryptography.html.

"We should never ever doubt what nobody is sure about".

					-- Willy Wonka