Eth0 problem...

Steve McGrane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue May 28 12:29:01 2002

Check your /var/log/messages file for any news, the only time I've seen this
is when a network card is getting overloaded.

Otherwise I would say its a bad NIC.

- Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Daniel J. Costello
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 2:01 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Eth0 problem...

Hello,

I have a problem with my Ethernet port possibly.  When I start up my linux
box (PowerMac 8600) I'm able to ping it from another computer on the
internal network once eth0 is initialized during the boot process.  It will
ping until the login screen appears when boot is done, and then the ping
dies. If I try to ping the internal router (from the linux box) after this
it says "Destination Host Unreachable" although the nic card pulled the
correct DHCP info.  I restart the network without rebooting, the same thing
occurs, the ping works for 5 seconds.  Ipchains isn't running, and all
services have been cut down to minimum.  I reset the PRAM last night and
then it worked, but upon a restart it hasn't worked since, regardless of the
PRAM reset.

Any ideas to what might be causing this?  Thanks in advance.

Dan