Keep it up? Backup?

Steve McGrane yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 11:24:01 2002

Scan the archives, there is something that can be setup on the older mac
machines to tell them to be in "Server Mode", I don't remember what it is
called of hand, but its a one time setting that will... if the power is
removed, then restored... turn the machine back on.

You'll want to have the latest kernel with ext3 enabled and configured on
your drives in the event of a power failure under "load". If not, the server
will come back up, then patiently wait for you to enter the root password
and fix the partitions yourself - not very useful.

- Steve
http://www.globaltap.com
Mac Friendly Hosting

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of Moyer, Steven
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 12:52 PM
To: 'yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com'
Subject: RE: Keep it up? Backup?

Keep it up?  How about a UPS, with a MAC serial cable.  Size it to run a
couple hours and then cleanly shut the machine down when its standby power
is almost depleted.  I have several computers that haven't been down for two
years (except patches and updates) using this method.  If I ever do have a
long power outage, I will get a page warning me that a hard power off is
about to occur (the computer sends the message via e-mail to a text paging
service).

I like to use about 1400VA per server (more if it has RAID).

smoyer