video kernel argument BootX ATI RagePro PCI

Alan Somers yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed May 29 19:52:01 2002

>Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:49:43 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Michael Hamlin <hamlin@pa.msu.edu>
>To: yellow dog general list <yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>Subject: video kernel argument BootX ATI RagePro PCI
>
>Howdy.
>
>I installed YDL 2.2 and it works on my old-world PowerComputing
>machine.  With the monitor connected to the built-in video,
>I leave "No Video Driver" unchecked in BootX and
>the kernel has no problem establishing the platinumfb device
>for video display; console and X both work fine.
>
>In the boot sequence I see the PCI ATI NexusGA video card is
>also detected.
>
>Now I connect monitor to the ATI NexusGA PCI video card, and boot
>Linux with no other changes.. the display is not established,
>even the console is just garbage.  I tried booting with the kernel
>argument "video=atyfb"  (without quotes) but had the same result
>If I boot with "No Video Driver" checked everything works fine, of course,
>just slow!  even slower than the built-in platinumfb device.
>
>How do I get the kernel to use my PCI video card instead of the
>built-in video ?
>
>michael
>
>PS the yellow-dog mailing list archive NEEDS a search engine!

I'm not sure, but I think we're stuck with unaccelerated video until
the 2.4 Mach64 kernel drivers get fixed (if ever).  I have almost the
same configuration as you: G3-accelerated PowerCenter with an ATI
XClaim VR Pro graphics card and I, too, have to set "No Video
Driver", as well as "Use MacOS video settings" (don't think that's
the exact text of the option, but I think you know what I'm talking
about), to get any video in YDL 2.2.  Even using the 2.2 kernel, I am
unable to get any acceleration.  I'm just glad this machine is used
primarily as a server so it doesn't impact my usage very much (I do
run MOL, which is *really* slow graphically, to serve up my HFS and
HFS+ volumes).