Backup devices

Nathan A. McQuillen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri May 31 19:25:01 2002

One of my remote servers backs up to a SCSI 8mm DAT drive, pulled out of
an old Compaq Proliant 4000 tower a neighbor had left on the curb. Runs
great, and while they were $700 or so new, I suspect they can be picked up
for a song these days. (This one is an Exabyte, don't recall the model).
Used also to have a rebranded La Cie 8mm drive, don't recall the actual
mechanism manufacturer, but that also ran without a hitch.

I have had unfavorable CD-R backup experiences and do not recommend them,
due to a handful of factors: the complexity of driver and capacity
management, vulnerability of the media, hassle involved in doing
sequential and incremental backups, and, critical to me, the waste
inherent to the medium.

Just don't forget to retension. ;)

- NM