iBook Graphics Config And MonitorsDB Entries

Mark Kirkwood yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 4 01:21:01 2002

I'm a new YellowDog convert, and recently installed YDL 2.3 on a
Blueberry iBook M2453.
Everything went pretty well installwise - which was great !

However I am confused aboout the Monitor database setting for the 12.1
display:

 From YDL 2.3 :
$ cat MonitorsDB|grep iBook
Apple; Apple iBook; 0; 119; 196

 From Mandrake 8.2 :
$ cat MonitorsDB|grep iBook
Apple; iBook 800x600; 0; 28.0-50.0; 43.0-75.0

Err... they can't both be right ... can they ? - and 119;196 seems
really high for an LCD... guess I am a bit worried about cooking the
display here, what do you guys think?

Further, I found that the simple Xconfigurator setup for ibook (which
chose the fbdev driver) would only let me run 16-bit color depth - yuk,
and kdm froze the trackpad at each logout - needed a
cntrl-option-backspace !

However, if I used the ati driver combined with the Mandrake refresh
settings I could get 24-bit color depth -looks nice with Enlightenment
color gradients :-), and kdm no longer froze the trackpad !

Does this seem useful ? If so I can post my hacked XF86Config-4.

Notes :
i)The mandrake MonitorDB in the the package ldetect-lst-0.1.3-8mdk.
ii) I hope I am not posting old news here.. but I could find anything
like this on the archives...

best wishes, Mark