routes are killing me - how to?

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 6 18:48:01 2002

<snip>

> This is my starting point. My problem is that nothing on the private
> network can ping anything, not even 192.168.0.1, and I seem to
> believe that it will all work if I can just add the correct routes to
> the table. I've been trying to read on-line dox and have done all
> sorts of things to the routing table to make this work, but none
> have. I won't try to repeat all those here. I have no way to know if
> I'm really way off base to begin with or whether I just have to add a
> small tweak.
>
> Any *knowledgeable* help greatly appreciated!

To do what you're asking about will require more than simple routes.

>From what I could gather, your routing table looks okay to me.  You don't
say whether the box acting as router can see anything - from the router, can
you ping a host on the 63.x.x.x network?  Can you ping anything on the
192.x.x.x network?  It's not necessarily a problem if hosts on the inside
can't ping anything - worry about that after you make sure the router is
working properly.  If for some reason the router can't see those other
networks you may need to go back & double check the NIC's / wiring / etc -
could very well be a physical problem...

Now, on to the rest.

What you want to do here is called masquerading, or NAT.  You'll need to
configure IPTABLES to allow you to do the masquerading.  If you test your
router & see that physical connectivity looks okay from that machine, you'll
just need to set up the firewall to actually route the packets for you.
This page is a good starting point:

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/ethernet_connect
ions.shtml

If that isn't enough, google for "linux iptables how-to".

Good luck.