routes are killing me - how to?

William Carty yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 6 19:39:01 2002

When I say "from the router", I mean from the Linux box.

It sounds like the Linux box is okay.

<snip>

> So, my understanding is weak. I thought I first had to get the
> routing table configured to pass packets from the private network
> through the Linux box to the outside world, then set up iptables as
> an add-on. IOW, since I first want to pass all traffic (get it
> working), I thought I didn't need iptables as a first step. You're
> saying there's an interrelationship that is unavoidable, eh?

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say unavoidable - as Robert pointed out, all
you *really* need to do is to enable IP forwarding...  however, IMO you're
simply nuts if you don't provide some level of firewalling for your internal
hosts... so, I guess you could say they really go hand in hand - one
compliments the other.  Just a matter of your point of view.

It sounds like you're on the right track here.  I'd go ahead & start working
on your IPTABLES rules & take it from there.  There are quite a few good
tutorials regarding IPTABLES, so you shouldn't have much trouble figuring it
out.

Good luck.

Will