How to delete YDL 2.3.

Don Ellis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 7 17:17:01 2002

At 1:45 PM -0800 11/7/02, Ben Jansen wrote:
>On Thursday, Nov 7, 2002, at 12:16 US/Pacific, jose wrote:
>>         How could I delete a YDL 2.3 partition and recover the space  for Mac
>>OS X?. As if YDL never was installed in this drive.... Basically I'd  like to
>>format the 10 Mb. Partition of YDL to HFS+ and use it from Mac OS X.
>
>I'm pretty sure Disc Utility will do this IIRC. Format the
>partition,  it will probably show up as unformatted or unknown
>format. I don't have  a linux partition in my box ATM so I can't
>verify this 100%.

I don't think Disc Utility can do this (though I could be wrong). It
appears that DU can't convert a MacOS partition to a Linux partition.
It may be able to convert a Linux to a partition to a MacOS
partition. I have greater confidence that using fdisk or pdisk could
handle it. With one of these (I believe they are close variants of
each other, with same functionality), you can manipulate individual
partitions, resizing, deleting, creating, without having to blow away
the whole drive.

So, try Disc Utility and see if it is able to see the Linux
partition. If it's not visible, run fdisk (or pdisk). This is also
the easiest way I know to find out the proper nomenclature for a
partition (e.g. /dev/sdb8).

BTW, the limitation described in the install docs, that you won't be
able to create then delete partitions multiple times in an install
session - that limitation is because of this utility (fdisk or
pdisk). But if you do the operations in a direct and straightforward
manner, it works.

And, this answers your unasked question - how do I convert that
HFS[+] partition back to a Linux partition?