routes are killing me - how to?

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Nov 7 18:58:01 2002

>get the linux box to ping 127.0.0.1
>then ping 192.168.0.1

Yep, as the IP 192.168.0.1 is assigned to the NIC in the Linux box.

>get the osx box to ping 127.0.0.1
>and then 192.168.0.222

Yep, as the IP 192.168.0.222 is assigned to the NIC in the OSX box.

That all works.

>the routing table won't matter if a cable is cross over when it's meant to
>be patch. be sure to check that.

That's been checked. More than once.

>i'm thinking maybe there's some residual firewall config. if not then i hope
>it's that cable issue. otherwise this could get to be serious difficult to
>help with.

Do you have a comment on my earlier question? That is, if there are 2
NICs in a box, each assigned to a different subnet, and one pings an
outside network, what decides which interface the pings go out on?
It's not random is it? I've always been curious about this question
no matter what my other problems.

Stefan Jeglinski