Request: Working Radeon 7000 XF86Config-4

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Nov 10 10:19:01 2002

>I currently am having loads of trouble getting working video with my Radeon
>7000 PCI card and a low-cost VGA monitor (with a Windtunnel Dual G4).  I've
>tried kernel args radeon:dfp and radeon:1024x768-16@60 and a whole host of
>variants of the radeon arg to no success.  The only arg that works at all is
>radeon:ofonly, which gives me working X but so few colors that it isn't very
>usable.
>
>I've noticed that the "Device" section in the XF86Config-4 file I've been
>generating looks bogus.  It seems generic, and the driver is listed as
>"fbdev", which I doubt is correct.  If anyone has a working system that uses
>a Radeon 7000 Mac Edition card (possibly even with a CRT monitor), would you
>please post or send me directly a copy of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file?

fbdev is unaccelerated and is intended to be a "safe" generic working
mode for X. It's similar to if not the same as booting into the open
firmware frame buffer (OFfb) I have a Radeon 7000 in my 9500 and have
only been able to get a console boot with OFfb. X won't work under
any circumstances yet for me. Some small discussion with BenH so far
indicates that the main ppc kernel tree may or does not have the
necessary code for the 7000, and that his benh tree would be better.
However, I have not had luck so far with pre9-ben0. I need to update
to his latest and try again. You might go that route as well.

Stefan Jeglinski