7200 = Sound of Silence

Craig Geiger yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 11 05:37:01 2002

I have installed a base version of YDL 2.3 on a ppc 7200 and have only
command line access.  So far so good.  I installed ssh so I can talk
remotely to the box.  However, I cannot get the sound to work.  I have
rummaged through the support pages, list archives, searched on the yellow
dog site, did google searches online, etc, and have no more ideas of what to
check.

I did the #cat /dev/sndstat and got back results that I think were correct.
Also, checked dmesg to make sure there were no loading errors or whatnot.
Everything seems fine.  However, when I try #cat /home/noise.au > /dev/audio
I get no errors or messages, and no sound.  I guess my plan was to see if
there was a volume control or something -- didn't seem to be able to locate
anything - only things I came across were for KDE, etc: no command line
mixers.  Is there something obvious that I am missing?  The sound works
correctly when in OS9.  Any help or direction would be appreciated.

I am trying to make this dinasour an mp3 jukebox with remote access...Love
it so far - no keyboard, mouse, or monitor - a fresh change from the gui
environments of today...Thanks,