Newbee question / VGA / Viewsonic E220 ?

McLeod, Peter (Yuetsu) yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 12 19:03:01 2002

When I did my install the same thing happened (but I have an ATI rage Pro
card with 17" studio display in my g4).  My preference was just to do a safe
text install and then configure the correct video for X (gnome/kde)
afterwards which I then found a yellowdog linux solutions page for.
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/rage.shtml  I
found out later that to get the install right I could have
applied the same parameter which had to go in my /etc/yaboot.conf file ...

# yaboot images
image=/boot/vmlinux
label=linux
root=/dev/hda12 append="video=aty128fb:vmode:20 hdc=ide-scsi"

That is, before install I could have typed:  install-gui
video=aty128fb:vmode:20 [ENTER].

Couldn't find any similar help for ViewSonic though and I understand you
have to be careful with display parameters.  What if you try the text
install and then just choose your monitor from the list during install and
let it detect your video card for you?

Message: 3