Where's my web server bottleneck?

Owen Stampflee yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 20 14:57:12 2002

> Web applications are Apache, MySQL, Postfix, Courier-imap, and a
> PostNuke application (php).  The php application is at the moment
> uncache because of a lack of cache's for the PPC architecture.  I'm
> aware of some for PPC, but not the ones I want (zend or php
> accelerator).
It sounds like PHP is the culprit.

PHP is slower than molassis on a winter day. Not sure how they compare
but Slashcode will be alot quicker (IIRC, alot of pages are written
statically).

You're also doing alot on that box.

> It's the connection, right?  But when I move it to a T1, where's the
> next bottleneck, and how soon will I hit it?
A faster connection will help but theres other issues at play if a
100k/pg takes 15sec to download.

More information such as load averages, memory usage, network stats etc
would make finding the culprit easier.

Owen