logging server

Jonathan Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 14:13:01 2002

Has anybody managed to setup a logging server using syslogd and
yellowdog?  We've got several Portmaster 3's that send information to a
logging server.  Unfortunately that server is slowly dying.  I'd like
to replace it with a machine running yellowdog but I'm not having a lot
of luck w/ syslogd.

I've got 1 PM3 pointing to the new log server and I have syslogd
starting with the "-r" flag on the new logging server.  However nothing
is appearing is any of the logs on that machine.  There's an entry for
syslogd in /etc/services.  I think it may be a problem in the
syslog.conf file but I can't find information on how to setup a logging
server.

Thanks for any help.   I'm including my syslog.conf file below - I
added the section labeled "auth and user - pm3" in an attempt to get
logging working.

# Log all kernel messages to the console.
# Logging much else clutters up the screen.
#kern.*                                                 /dev/console

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none
/var/log/messages

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*                                              /var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*                                                  /var/log/maillog

# auth and user - pm3
user.*
/var/log/user.log
auth.*
/var/log/auth.log

# Log cron stuff
cron.*                                                  /var/log/cron

# Everybody gets emergency messages
*.emerg                                                 *

# Save news errors of level crit and higher in a special file.
uucp,news.crit                                          /var/log/spooler

# Save boot messages also to boot.log
local7.*
/var/log/boot.log