logging server

Jonathan Smith yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 19:40:01 2002

On Friday, November 22, 2002, at 03:41  PM, nathan r. hruby wrote:
> Make sure there are allow entries for the portmasters in
> /etc/hosts.allow
> and that port 514 is not blocked by a firewall.

There's no firewall blocking that port.  I'm not running syslogd
through xinetd so /etc/hosts.allow doesn't seem to have any effect (I
went ahead and tried adding it just in case).

> Did you restart syslog after making the change to the startup file and
> the conf file?

Yes.  It's logging to the /var/log/auth.log file but only for the
machine syslogd is running on.

> If these are wrapped due to email, ignore this, but they should be on
> the
> same line :)  Also, make sure the files that are indicated above
> actually
> are there, in not 'touch' them and syslog should start logging to them.

That's apparently the way Mail.app in OS X decided to interpret the
tabs.  Weird.

At any rate it's still not working.  I'm at a dead end here - any other
suggestions?  Doing "ps aux | grep syslog" shows "syslogd -m 0 -r" so
that seems to be ok.

Thanks again.