Unexpected inconsistency

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Nov 22 22:00:01 2002

At 23:25 -0500 on 2002-11-22 John Keegan wrote:

 > > Root password does not work when I am prompted to input it, so I can not try
 > > any of the methods suggested previously on this list (searched the archives
 > > and website) to get into single user mode and run fsck -y etc.

Here is a piece of one of my previous posts.  The problem was
different, but the idea is the same.

Boot from the rescue (aka "tasty morsels") CD, and just press enter at
the `boot:' prompt.  You will end up in a minimal shell.  If you
don't, reboot (from the CD again) and this time type `rescue-safe'
(without the quotes) at the prompt.

Once in a shell, you can run fsck on your root partition, something
like

    fsck /dev/hda14

or whatever the partition you have problems with is.  Note that no
actual hard disk partition is mounted, so you will have to pass the
dev entry to fsck, not the mount point (you do know the dev entry for
your root filesystem, right?).

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.