new ibook 2002 install success

Stefan Jeglinski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Nov 23 01:09:01 2002

>Actually, I've gotten the new iBook (800 Mhz) to boot with the
>default 2.4.19 kernel and radeon video.

Using your XF86Config-4 file, mine also now works. However:

>   You need to hit the "dimmer" key several times once the screen goes dark.

I did not have to do this. After a moment or two, the screen was
"fine" and KDE 3.0 started with excellent visibility.

>   The video has lots of artifacts, but accelerated X works at
>1024x768 and 16-bit.

Agreed. I see what might be described as "horizontal dancing lines."
BUT, when I quit KDE, the video "hangs" before I get back to the
console, and while frozen, I at least get an interesting screen
pattern (looks likes it's been damaged). I have to reboot.

If I trying running X with fbdev, I get the following X error:

FBIOPUT_VSCREENINFO: Invalid argument
(EE) FBDEV(0): Mode init failed

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for drive 0.

Stefan Jeglinski