Sound on YDL 2.3

C.Randolph yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Nov 25 06:44:01 2002

I read through some the past couple of months archives regarding this and
there doesn't seem to be a clear answer for this topic.  I hate revive it
again but I'm stuck.

Install information:
YDL 2.3 (Developer Workstation)  these are good - purchased CD's
iMac (old style - summer 2001 model)
    700mhz G3 - CDR - 512mb ram
    60gb HD - Rage 128 16MB video

This is a fresh install on this machine.  I startup at the command prompt.
Before ever starting the X environment I ran apt-get update & upgrade.  I am
fully up-to-date.

[Problem #1]
When I first come into KDE I get the ever popular "sound server" cannot be
started - "no such device  ...dsp".

If I exit KDE and then come back in the sound environment (including startup
music) works and there are no error messages.

[Problem #2]
I followed the How-To on the YDL site for configuring sound and working with
XMMS to play an audio CD.

If I play the CD all I get is solid static.  I can see the correct CD and
playist in XMMS, it is playing but all that is coming out is static.

I have made no other modifications to this system or the configuration.  It
is standard - stock - out of the box.

Thanks,
CR