PoserPC vs Intel

Rick Thomas yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Nov 26 15:18:01 2002

Unfortunately, the "obvious" choice, the Spec consortium benchmark site
(http://www.specbench.org/cgi-bin/osgresults?conf=cpu2000), doesn't have
any spec results for PPC processors running Linux.  They have lots of
results from IBM for RS/6000's running AIX, but that's not the kind of
machine you are likely to run Yellow Dog Linux on.

The "common knowledge" says that, MHz for MHz, the Motorola PPC
architecture will deliver better performance than the AMD or Intel X86
architecture, but there is no evidence one way or the other at the
SpecMark web site.  On the other hand, the same "common knowledge" says
that X86 machines are available much cheaper and at much higher MHz than
similarly configured PPC machines.

It would be neat if YDL sponsored somebody to run the Spec benchmarks on
one of their machines...  (hint!)

Rick