Problems with a Bondi Blue iMac (233)

Seth Dimbert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Nov 27 08:14:01 2002

Rene,

This looks like it is *precisely* what I needed.

Thank you. I'm going to try it out tonight.

-SD

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com]On Behalf
Of René Bourion
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 8:21 AM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Problems with a Bondi Blue iMac (233)

I have installed YDL 2.2 more than once on my 233 MHz iMac
(160 Mb RAM, 20Gb HD) without any problem.

I believe that the trouble some people have comes from overlooking an
important point: the bootstrap partition must be first on the list, next to
the Apple patch partition (usually /dev/hda5). It is therefore bad practice
to install Mac first, and then Linux. The correct procedure is in two parts.

To begin, one boots from a MacOS CD-ROM and uses the disk tool to make some
partitions (at least 2). The size of the first one should be sufficient to
accommodate the whole Linux installation; this partition should be marked as
"unallocated". The next one should be HFS+, for MacOS 9 (there could be
another one for MacOS 10). I have added a small (1 Gb) partition in standard
HFS (to which Linux has access), quite useful for transferring things
between the two systems. After quitting the disk tool, one installs the Mac
system(s) on its(their) partition(s), and the hard disk is ready to receive
Linux.

To install Linux, one reboots from the YDL install CD-ROM, enters the
installer (the GUI version works quite well for me) and gives the proper
answers at each step. The Linux partitions are written in the available
space (the first partition above) in the order bootstrap, swap and root (/).
I have found it convenient to have /home in a separate partition, so that it
can be left untouched in case of trouble, thus preserving all the personal
work. I have assigned a mount point to the HFS partition (/giga). One then
has to load the software according to preference (I have loaded everything).
One reaches the end in a few steps, and everything should be all right.

Also, I would like to mention that there are very nice info pages on yaboot,
yaboot.conf, ybin, bootstrap, ofpath, mkofboot, with  plenty of
explanations.

R.B.