DVD Yet again ....

Neill Miller yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 2 22:42:00 2002

--=.NE5YjJN9n+gf_D

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:37:10 +1200
Bernard mentink <ebike@paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> Yep, you do seem to be the only one that has got DVD working on a
> Pismo 400.

Damn...I was hoping for some others to chime in ;-)

> By the way, are you **absolutly** sure that your improvement was not
> after you installed DRI and it's associated
> side-affect of DMA on Xv? ;-)

Yep.  I didn't setup DRI until earlier this year, but DVDs were playing
for a while before that.  If I understand correctly, the Xv extension is
purely for 2D acceleration anyway.  For sure, DRI and the DMA via AGP
used is *exclusively* for 3D acceleration in the X-server.

I hate to rub it in, but the playback for me also works well with X11
and SDL video output using VLC (http://www.videolan.org).  They're not
as smooth as Xvideo, but definitely watchable.

> I seem to have accelerated video, as per your suggestion below:
> XFree86.0.log Says it is loaded. I have attached my
> xvinfo for you to have a look at.

Eureka! Ok, I'm no Xvideo expert, but I see something interesting right
away.  My "xvinfo" output looks like this:

--
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "ATI Rage128 Video Overlay"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 59
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 16, visualID 0x23
      depth 16, visualID 0x24
      depth 16, visualID 0x25
      depth 16, visualID 0x26
      depth 16, visualID 0x27
      depth 16, visualID 0x28
      depth 16, visualID 0x29
      depth 16, visualID 0x2a
    number of attributes: 14
      "XV_SET_DEFAULTS" (range 0 to 1)
              client settable attribute
      "XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY" (range 0 to 1)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
      "XV_COLORKEY" (range 0 to -1)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 2115)
      "XV_DOUBLE_BUFFER" (range 0 to 1)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
      "XV_ENCODING" (range 0 to 12)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
      "XV_FREQ" (range 0 to -1)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1000)
      "XV_MUTE" (range 0 to 1)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
      "XV_HUE" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
            client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_BRIGHTNESS" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_SATURATION" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_COLOR" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_CONTRAST" (range -1000 to 1000)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 0)
      "XV_VOLUME" (range 1 to 127)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute (current value is 1)
      "XV_OVERLAY_GAMMA" (range 0 to 3)
              client settable attribute
              client gettable attribute
<snip>

I have 14 listed attributes as opposed to your 4 attributes.  I also
have 4 more "supported visuals" than you. I'll bet those make all the
difference in the world :-D

Since you seem to be the tinkering type, try the Gatos Drivers
(http://gatos.sourceforge.net/), as that's what I'm running at the
moment (all you need is the ati.2, but since no binaries are available,
you will need to recompile XFree86 4.2.0 from source).  I could have
sworn I had DVDs working before installing these, but it's possible that
I'm mistaken here.  :-{

If this is too dangerous for you, write me and I'll try to see if I can
dig up all the required binaries and we could just stuff them in your
current XFree86 tree (assuming you're running XFree86 4.2.0).

Best regards,
-Neill.

--
http://www.thecodefactory.org/neillm