Illegitimate Question

Beartooth yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 3 21:10:00 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:13:03 +0000, Andrew Hodel
<andrew@eurozip.net> asked:

> You can't really have an airport card in a pc can you, if thsi
> is true, how can you modprobe airport on apc?

	Part of the trouble, mayhap, is that I'm trying to learn
the jargon (and the concepts behind it) in use -- I can't count on
having enough years left to master the theory *before* I start
using it. So I typed what I saw.

	What I apparently failed either to make clear OR to
understand is that I'm trying to connect the desktop, not
wirelessly, but by means of a DSL cable from it to the wireless
hub, which has an extra female plug apparently just for this very
purpose.

	I have no idea when 'airport' is short for 'airport card'
and when for 'airport base station.' If the accursed suits would
come off it with the prettification and, call a card a card but a
hub a hub, it would help -- not that I suppose there's any hope of
that.

	The point, if I understand aright, is that the command
"/sbin/modprobe airport" looks plain silly to the initiates, nicht
wahr? Then what command do I -- no doubt obviously, again to the
initiates -- need instead? Modprobe cable? Modprobe hub? Something
else than modprobe?
--
Beartooth the Stubborn <karhunhammas (at) lserv.co>m
standard disclaimer : Keep in mind that I have no idea what I am talking about.