Remote X11 Connections

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Oct 9 19:38:01 2002

Hi Rob,

On Wed October 9 2002 18:01, bronto wrote:
> >Rob,
> >
> >No, no, no - all the stuff I described earlier, you have to do on the
> > Linux machine, not the Windoze box. You can use the Windoze box as a
> > client to the YDL (or any other X11) box.
> >Do not get confused by the term 'X Server' on Windoze - there is alway=
> > some X server on a local machine, but that doesn't mean, it serves
> > external connections ;).
>
> Got it :')  You must by now realize the level of my linux sophisticatio=
> :')

No Problem ... there is so much stuff in Linux now, even I, with 18 years=
 of=20
UNIX, am lost. It used to be easy, back in the days when you had 6 360 KB=
=20
floppy disks and that was your SCO UNIX system ... the latest RedHat dist=
ro=20
(8.0) comes on 5 650 MB CDs ...

> Back to your previous instructions then.
>
> I regularly have either GNOME or KDE running on my server.  We can
> safely assume that X runs and I can log in.  I've located prefdm and
> modified it so that regardless which GUI is running, preferred =3D
> /usr/bin/gdm.

Good!

> I haven't rebooted yet because I'm nervous.  I want to look before I
> leap.  You state: "You can
> click on 'System' -> 'Configure' -> (enter root password) -> 'Expert'
> where you can enable XDMCP.".  Since you mention "click" I assume you
> mean to do this in X (KDE or GNOME) after I log in(?).  But your

No - before ;-). Currently your YDL GUI login has the labrador dog in a l=
ittle=20
picture - this is the (stupid) TerraSoft login program. After you reboot,=
=20
that should have been replaced with the Ximian one. On that, you have a m=
enu=20
bar where you can do what I described ...

> description "'System' -> 'Configure' -> (enter root password) ->
> 'Expert'" doesn't match any of my menus, and I see no mention of
> XDMCP.  Please reassure me that I will see it after I reboot.
> Forgive me, I'm still accustomed to things not working when I
> reconfigure Windows.

Do you have GAIM? I can show you what you might see on my system here @ h=
ome,=20
I just opened the firewall to my PowerBook port 177, so you can come in a=
nd=20
have a look ...

> Going on:
>
> "Now, save he changes and let it restart the X server. Once that's done=
,
> your machine can be remotely accessed via X11 ... if you're behind a
> firewall and you want to come in from the outside, you have to open por=
> 177 in the firewall ... but then, I'm sure, you know all that :)."
>
> This is where I need cygwin, right?  This is where I do the "X :2 -kb
> -query IPADDRESS_HERE > /dev/null 2>&1 &" from the command line in
> cygwin?

Once you have rebooted the Mac to show the new Login screen, yes. You can=
 type=20
that in to a bash command line or into a DOS prompt, doesn't matter.

Say, your Mac's IP is 192.168.0.4 then your command line would be
Xwin.exe :2 -kb -query 192.168.0.4 > /dev/null 2>&1 &
(On Cygwin, X is called Xwin.exe ... ).

Best regards,
Chris