installing apt-get under 2.1

Stephen Harker yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 10 16:37:01 2002

> Thanks Nathan & Stephen. That makes more sense to me now. I will
> concentrate on using the "U" command and either remove the other misc
> deps or force the install of rpm without deps check. Then upgrade
> everything else.

For what it may be worth.  From a text login to YDL 2.1 I found I
could

        rpm -e gnorpm kdeadmin

then

        rpm -Uvh apt-get* rpm*

from a YDL 2.3 disk.  This worked and then it was a matter of trying
the upgrade.  First rebuilding the rpm database then using apt-get to
get the upgrades.  You do need to be connected to the net for this.
You also need to edit /etc/apt/source.list to point to a fast local
mirror.  The commands are something like (I don't have my notes with
me):

    rpm --rebuilddb
    apt-cdrom add       (follow instructions: put in the CD's invent labels)
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade

--
Stephen Harker                                          sjh@ph.adfa.edu.au
School of Physics               Baloney Baffles brains: Eric Frank Russell