YDL fdisk says it can't find hard drive on new dual G4

Grant Chesy yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 15 13:49:01 2002

The exact error is "no hard disk found"  I am not sure if the yellow dog =
installer is using fdisk / pdisk or what, but it cannot find a drive.  =
Yes, I already have the drive partitioned up, with OSX, OS9, a partition =
reserved for Linux (I assumed I could slice it up later with the fdisk =
for the linux distribution), and a few extra partions for testing lab =
images (this is a work machine).

If you could tell me how to get a command prompt from the install cd, =
that would be a great help.  Then I could know for sure what the =
partitioning software was, and know the real messages, and not possibly =
cooked versions spit out by the installer.

I tried the text install, the gui install (resulted in same installer =
running), tried ctrl-c and ctrl-z to try to get to a shell, with no =
luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim ODriscoll [mailto:tim@StokePogesWay.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 12:40 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: YDL fdisk says it can't find hard drive on new dual G4

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Grant Chesy wrote:
> Is there a similar (or completely different) workaround to get YDL
> installed on this box?
>=20

What's the exact error fdisk is giving you? I tried installing YDL on my =

Cube onto a brand new disk, and it complained because the disk needed to =

have a partition map before fdisk would create any partitions. I used=20
pdisk to create the partition map, then went from there.

I don't think that relates to your problem though, as I get the =
impression=20
that you've already installed OSs on this disk, so the partition map=20
should already be there. But my info might help :)

Cheers, Tim