Adaptec 2940UW vs Atto ExpressPCI UL2D

Alban Fellows yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 17 13:33:01 2002

On Thursday 10 October 2002 02:16, Tim Seufert wrote:
> For a fairly long time I used an ExpressPCI PSC (the Atto equivalent of
> the 2940UW) with an IBM UltraStar 9ES under YDL.  The 9ES was the Linux
> root partition.  Never had a single problem with the controller, though
> the disk eventually developed mechanical problems.  (This was in a
> Beige G3, BTW.)

I have an Atto ExpressPCI PSC in my G4 (DVD-R model) which originally came out
of a Beige G3. The wierd thing was that the card just stopped working under
MacOS 9, leaving the G3 without a boot disk. I bought a bigger second IDE
drive for my machine and put the smallest IDE in the G3. I then put the Atto
in my G4. Still doesn't work under MacOS 9 or 10.x but works like a dream
under Linux.
I cant even get the firmware updater to see the card.
I do however need to find a card (without breaking the bank) with 50 pin
external SCSI which will work well under Linux, MacOS 9 and MacOS X to use
with a DLT drive I picked up cheap.
Currently the APD-29160N looks like the best bet (does it work well under
linux? the AHA-19160 did under linux but not MacOS)

Alban