How to Signing your own SSL certificates

Michael Baer yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Oct 17 15:55:00 2002

    contant> Hi i'm wondering how do u sign your own ssl certificates
    contant> to use with apache.. i've been reading some on some site
    contant> but they seem not much of any help for the time being..

    >> If you have or get openssl, I believe the command line,
    >>
    >> openssl req -new -x509 -days 365 -nodes -out cert.pem -keyout
    contant> cert.pem

    >> will ask you some questions and generate a self-signed
    >> certificate 'cert.pem' that you can use with apache.

    contant> so after i'm done with making the "cert.pem" file what
    contant> should i do with it so i could get it working with
    contant> apache...??

A more complex question which I probably can't do a good job
answering. The /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file has some good inline
documentation. Your best bet, though, is probably to look at

http://www.apache.org

...looking for the ssl documentation for version 2...

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/ssl/

hope this helps,
Mike

--