AGP Acceleration not working?

Bernard mentink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 18 00:36:01 2002

Hi All,

I am getting an "AGP not available" in my XFree86.0.log, after compiling
the XFree86 source and Gatos drivers.
Everything compiled and installed ok, and most messages are positive.

/var/log/XFree86.0.log  says the following:

(WW) R128(0): [agp] AGP not available
(WW) R128(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize -- falling back to PCI mode.
(WW) R128(0): [agp] Make sure you have the agpgart kernel module loaded.

But demg has a more positive message:

Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 150M
agpgart: Detected Apple UniNorth chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 16M @ 0x0

/var/log/messages seems to see the device ok:

Oct 18 17:35:34 localhost kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff
Hartmann
Oct 18 17:35:34 localhost kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use
for agp memory: 150M
Oct 18 17:35:34 localhost kernel: agpgart: Detected Apple UniNorth chipset
Oct 18 17:35:34 localhost kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 16M @ 0x0

However from /var/log/messages,  I used to get:
Oct 17 19:01:26 localhost kernel: [drm] AGP 0.99 on Unknown @ 0x00000000
16MB

But I don't get this message any more. Does this mean that drm is not
do a modprobe agpgart now, were it used to get loaded automagically.

Also glxgears fram-rate has dropped from 470 FPS tp 340 FPS

Any Help appreciated.
Cheers,
Bernie