difference between mount point and physical drive?

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 25 05:35:01 2002

Last I really checked into it, a mount would attach a device's
filesystem over that point in the file tree, eclipsing whatever else
was there.  Perhaps those semantics have changed sometime in the past
15 years since I looked at it (small surprise :)...

However, the man and info pages on "mount" indicate that the eclipse is
still the semantics of a mount...  Has this changed very recently?

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 01:27  PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

> Anyway, because of my ancient setup of this, all of my files under
> /home are actually split between the 2 disks (sdb and sda). How, from
> the command line, do I see which files physically reside on one disk
> and which on the another? Related to this question, over all these
> years that I have been adding files to /home, how did the OS decide
> which drive to put the files on?
>
> Finally, for restore, I thought I would just physically replace sda
> with another identical drive, mkext2, and untar my /home backup. So,
> related to my question above, how will tar know which physical drive
> to put the stuff on, since some of it came from sdb and some from sda?
> If it tries to untar it all on sdb, it'll run out of space. If it
> tries to put it on sda, there will be the same files on both sdb and
> sda.

-Michael George