difference between mount point and physical drive?

Michael George yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Oct 25 13:47:01 2002

I don't think I was clear enough.  You are right, there will be no=20
catastrophic outcomes, however if there are exactly xMb of space and=20
you start off dd writing xMb of zeros to the disk, then any increase in=20=

the used space on the disk will cause dd to kick a "filesystem full"=20
error condition.

This will be a minor problem, as the dd will stop and you will have all=20=

the free space (up to xMb) filled with 0's.

At one time it would be dangerous to do this on /, as the system would=20=

panic if the / partition filled up.  Lately, though, there is root=20
space reserved on every partition to avert such issues.  That's IIRC,=20
which doesn't always happen.

This is all pedantic, of course, and mostly for the education of=20
newcomers to unix.  I like the idea first presented (dd of 0's and then=20=

bzip2 it), I had never thought of that before.

Happy Hacking!
-Michael