Modem on G4 PB TI

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 29 15:46:01 2002

Hi.

At 23:06 +0100 on 2002-10-29 Stefan Bernhard wrote:

 > does anyone know how to configure the build in modem on a TI PB 55oMHz?

I have a Tibook 667Mhz (rev III) on which the modem works with a third
party, binary-only driver.  If yours also featurea a winmodem (which I
believe to be the case), take a look at

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/winmodem.shtml

which I followed successfully (OK, the causality is not quite right,
the howto is based on my success in doing this on my Tibook, but
anyway the thing presents the steps that I performed successfully on
my machine).

 > Why is YDL 2.3 slower than Suse7.2? Its close as slow as OSX!! Any
 > tips to improve speed?

My YDL installation is lighting fast, runs circles around OS X.  What
do you run in terms of servers and X?  Could it be that you have too
little RAM for all of those things and thus your machine swaps often?
If so, you may want to deactivate servers (apache and sendmail are the
first that come to mind and which if I am not mistaken were started by
the default installation) and daemons that you don't use to free up
some memory.  If memory is a problem, you may also want to try some
minimalist window manager such as fvwm which comes with the YDL CDs
(it used to be my window manager in those days of 64M of RAM ;-) )
instead of Gnome or KDE.  I have no other idea, sorry.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.