Module Dependency

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Oct 29 16:14:00 2002

At 14:55 -0800 on 2002-10-29 Bryan D. Brown wrote:

 > Well, I think I found part of the problem, in that the file
 > /etc/yaboot.conf simply is not there. The files in the /boot
 > directory appear to be as you specified.
 >
 > I should mention that I am running YDL 2.3 on an old world mac
 > (PowerMac 9500/150).

Oops (again).  Wait then, the 9500 is Old World, right?  In this case
you must be booting through BootX instead, so my yaboot ramble is
totally irrelevant.

I have never used BootX, but if I am not mistaken you have to copy the
kernel (and system map?) to a MacOS folder, right?  Quoting from
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/kernels.shtml

    Anyone using BootX still has one more thing to to copy: copy the
    new kernel to the partition on which BootX is installed, and put
    it where BootX can find it, in System Folder -> Linux
    kernels. This can be done by copying it directly there (if you've
    mounted that partition such that you can write files to it); or it
    can be done indirectly, by copying it to something like a Zip disk
    (useing xhfs, for example) or another machine (using
    ftp/sftp/scp), then rebooting to the MacOS and putting it in
    place. However you do it, you probably want to save a copy of your
    old kernel on the Mac side, too, and hit the 'save prefs' button
    in BootX when you've chosen the new kernel from the BootX pop-up
    menu of kernels, so that the new kernel becomes your default.

The `new kernel' refers in your case to vmlinux-2.4.19-4a--make sure
that this is the file copied on the Mac OS side and chosen at boot
time, _not_ the 2.4.18-whatever version.

Why, that must be it actually, you have on the MacOS side the wrong
version of kernel, this looks to me like the only viable explanation
of the strange behaviour that you report.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.