Kernel panics

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 2 13:56:01 2002

At 8:11 PM -0700 9/1/02, Mark Walker wrote:
>How does one fix that?  My recent install of YDL 2.3 is unusable due to
>kernel panics.
>I've used Linux distros from RedHat 6 -7.3 and Mandrake 8 and have not had
>as many problems as I've had with YDL.

If you get them all the time, for no apparent reason, then I have to
reverse myself and say it probably is bad hardware.  For some reason
I assumed you were talking about a one-time panic or something tied
to specific usage patterns.  The 2.4 series PowerPC kernel port is
mature enough that it shouldn't panic in general use.

The most likely suspect would be RAM.  If the RAM is good another
thing to look at is the CPU.
--
Tim Seufert