new G4 towers

Robert Brandtjen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 13:16:01 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 11:55 am, Dan Burcaw wrote:
> Nvidia provides crappy binary only drivers for x86.
> ATI provides documentation that allows Linux
> developers to develop open source drivers
> that will work on x86 or ppc.  Nvidia refuses
> to provide any such information.

That is clearly not true, my machines and cards run flawlessly in that=20
respect, Linux gamers almost exclusively use Nvidia and their drivers, al=
l of=20
the features of the chips are enabled and has full 3D hardware accelerati=
on,=20
often the Linux drivers are better then the Windows drivers.

Anyone doing a google will find loads of problems with ATI drivers period=
,=20
it's how Nvidia beat them out of the mainstream market. The 9500 series=20
success will depend not so much on their present speed supremacy but on t=
heir=20
follow through with GOOD driver support. Nvidia's NV30 series will no dou=
bt=20
at least match them in speed, I have no doubt their drives will surpass=20
ATI's, as historically ATI usually drops the ball here.
--=20
 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com