new G4 towers

Keary Suska yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 15:34:00 2002

on 9/5/02 1:44 PM, jrobinson@sierra-idt.com purportedly said:

> You both make good points, But I for one am confused.
> Can you please answer the original question. When I place my order, which one
> as
> it stands right now will work. If none, then say neither and go by a card that
> will work.

To help in answering your actual question, Dan B. did point it out, however
briefly, that if you are choosing between Radeon 9500 and nVidia, your
choices aren't great, but that you will have more luck with ATI on PPC than
nVidia being that there are better drivers (regardless of their ultimate
quality) for PPC for ATI, and support for the 9500 is will apparently be
improved if not directly supported. You can also check the hardware
compatibility list on the YDL web site, which may also give clues to a
preferred card.

Unless other list members can clarify any issues with either that they
experienced on the PPC platform, for which this list is designed, you can
take this suggestion for whatever it is worth, which is not much, since I
only have used the ATI, and *not* the Radeon, and much tweaking was
necessary just to get it to work properly. But that's Linux on PPC (maybe
it's a lot better with 2.3--I will find out soon). We take it or leave it
(or fix it ourselves)  :-(

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.