ipchains Issue

Casca yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Sep 7 20:47:01 2002

This is gonna sound a little stupid, but...
 I HAD an ipchains problem. The only thing I did was actually begin
setting up samba, but one of the options I configured turned on
ipchains... I know this only from deduction, but it's a safe guess. I
had internet access, I entered samba setup via the samba configuration
tool out of RH7.2's configuration menu. I then attempted to access the
web again. No luck. Kept getting a connection refused error. I tried
several things, like setting configuration in linuxconf, and the RH
control panel, and tried looking directly at several files to see if I
could see something wrong. I couldn't see anything, so I did a search on
the web, and one of the first trys brought me to a howto that walked me
through removing ipchains. I did this, and got connection again. Reboot
system for some reason, and lost the connection. I found some commands
that wealked me through shutting down iptables, and then stopping the
network , and then a restart. THis works and gets me an internet
connection. However, after I removed ipchains and the dependencies
listed, it no longer boots into the graphical login for the system. It
just dumps me out to the prompt. Not a big deal, as I can run startx and
the system loads fine, usually, though not always, directly to the
desktop (gnome). Occassionally, it will take me to the xlogin screen,
and prompt me to login. Bear in mind that it dumps me to a login prompt.
The point of all this is... How can I fix it to automaticaly
load to the GUI? I have checked the default runlevel, and it is still
listed as 5. I believe when I removed ipchains, it damaged the kernel
setup. How can I resolve this?
TIA
casca