Battery indicator on iBook 500?

Juan Manuel Palacios yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 10 23:46:01 2002

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 01:22  AM, thayne wrote:

> Okay I have kdeutils-laptop installed, but in the kde control panel it
> says I have to make /usr/bin/apm setuid, but I cannot find what the
> correct command is. Does anyone know?  It works fine when logged in as
> root, but as a normal user it doesn't.
>
> Thanks

	Simple:

[PowerBook:~] juan% su -
Password:
[PowerBook:~] root# chmod u+s /usr/bin/apm

	A little theory is in order, I suppose: what you are doing here is
telling the system to allow any user to execute the specified command;
how does it do that, you may ask, by a sort of short lived invocation of
the root user which just executes the command for you. So, in short,
it's really root who executes the command when the shell invokes it
after you hit enter. The "setuid" bit allows this.

	For more information read the man page for chmod. Regards,...

		Juan.