disappearing mouse support

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 12 21:30:01 2002

On Fri September 13 2002 04:56, Jeb Bolding wrote:
> I installed YDL 2.3 on my PB 667 (a month old). I took it to work and
> plugged in my USB mouse and worked during the day. I came home at night
> and X will no longer start up. I get the message that /dev/mouse wasn't
> a known serial device (I just had the trackpad).
>
> I walked downstairs to my iMac and plugged in that USB mouse and X
> worked.
>
> When I installed YDL I didn't have a USB mouse plugged in, just the
> trackpad.
>
> I don't particularly want to carry a mouse with me everywhere, does
> anyone have a suggestion about how I can fix this to be more dynamic?

I'm on a PowerBook G4/667 (10/2001) and have this:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "XFree86 Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

and this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection

in my XF86Config-4 file

and /dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/input/mice, which looks like:
crw-------    1 root     root      13,  63 Mar 10  2002 mice

This way, the trackpad and the USB mouse work at the same time and the ma=
chine=20
works with the USB mouse unplugged as well.