pre-newbie ibook quicksilver opengl graphics-cards sound

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 16 21:45:01 2002

I was running OS X 10.0.4 up to 10.1.5 on my PowerBook G4 and it's a disa=
ster.=20
Eventually I got myself a copy of YDL 2.3 and things are looking a lot=20
better, since. This past weekend, I decided to check out OS X 10.2, as a=20
friend of mine is raving about it. Do I have to say that I'm glad, I'm ba=
ck=20
on YDL? I did the install on an external FW drive, the (clean, not upgrad=
e)=20
install went fine, took about an hour or so.
Mail.app didn't start up, kept on bombing out, Address book the same stor=
y.

YDL Rocks!!

On Mon September 16 2002 23:14, thayne wrote:
> I can answer about the iBook, everything works except the built in mode=
m.

> On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 06:18 PM, Timothy A. Seufert wrote:
> > At 9:48 PM +1000 9/15/02, ccos wrote:
> >> hello all,
> >>
> >> thinking seriously about going over to linux from os x.
> >> the more i learn about unix and programming the more appealing
> >> this option. i've been perusing the net for a while looking for a go=
od
> >> distro
> >> for a total linux newbie, and yellow dog seems to be the one.
> >>
> >> i have these two machines:
> >>
> >> ibook ( i think it's a 2 ) 600MHz dual w/ an ATY RageM3p29s graphics
> >> card
> >
> > 600 MHz dual iBook?  A slip of the keyboard, surely.  :)
> >
> >> G4 867 (QS) w/ an NVDA GForce 2 MX card
> >>
> >> and these questions in regards to both machines:
> >>
> >> sound - how is the support for the native hardware?
> >
> > Output works on my hardware (G4 "Gigabit Ethernet" and G4 "Digital
> > Audio" models), but sometimes has issues.  Usually these are due to
> > applications which assume sound samples are always little-endian rath=
er
> > than problems with the OS.  I wouldn't know about input, never having
> > even tried to use it.
> >
> >> are there drivers out there for multi channel cards at all?
> >> for instance, in my g4 i've got a motu pci_324 and 2408MKII.
> >
> > I did some searching and, as far as I can tell, there is almost no
> > driver support for MOTU hardware on Linux.  The only thing I found wa=
> > a few Alsa drivers for older MOTU MIDI interfaces, the kind which
> > connect to Centronics parallel ports on PCs and RS422 serial on Macs.
> >
> >> midi - is there anything like os x integrated midi support?
> >
> > I wouldn't know.  But this might be a good page to find some
> > information on Linux MIDI:
> >
> > http://linux-sound.org
> >
> >> are there drivers out there for midi interfaces?
> >> for instance, i've got an emagic unitor8.
> >
> > I found this:
> >
> > http://www.math.tu-berlin.de/~sbartels/unitor/
> >
> > But it doesn't sound promising.  It describes a driver-in-progress
> > which probably would not work on a Mac (it mentions requiring UHCI, a=
nd
> > all Macs use OHCI USB rather than UHCI).  The page was last updated a
> > long time ago so it's possible that the driver got finished and the
> > page just wasn't updated to reflect that.
> >
> >> graphics - how well does YD support opengl and hardware acceleration=
=2E

> > Not as well as MacOS X.
> >
> >> how well does it support my graphics cards.
> >
> > The Rage M3 (aka Rage Mobility 128) in your iBook should be OK.  In Y=
DL