2.3 install woes on a pm 9500mp

Stephane Daury yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Sep 17 09:04:01 2002

Hi there,

Are you getting the errors during install, or when running ydl (once
installed).

I successfully installed ydl 2.3 on a starmax 3000/180 (603e), but was
having the same kind of problems: random kernel panic attacks (;o)
while running it with the 2.4 kernel.

Switching to using the delivered 2.2 kernel disk image with Bootx, and
installing the 2.2 kernel package through apt-get was my solution. It
has been rock solid ever since. The 9500 being an OldWorld machine as
well, you might benefit from the same tactic.

The kernel22 package is available on CD1 (or
http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/apt/2.3/RPMS.main/kernel22-
2.2.19-1r.ppc.rpm), and the extras for it are on the extra CD (or
http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/apt/2.3/RPMS.extra/
kernel22*).

Hoping this might help.

Stephane