Ti external video

Stefan Bruda yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Sep 18 09:23:01 2002

At 08:28 +0200 on 2002-9-18 Aurelio Bay wrote:

 > I connected an external monitor to the TiBook (550MHz, ATY Rage M6).
 > The image is there but the horizontal is not stable and the image
 > is barely readable.
 > I tested several configurations in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.
 > YD declares "external video not supported", but maybe somebody
 > has a good idea on how to control that video output,
 > which is almost working already.

I have used data projectors with my (rev III) tibook quite
successfully and with no change to the XF86Config files whatsoever.
Depending on the projector, I might need to boot my machine with the
projector plugged in and running, but that's the only inconvenience I
discovered--besides, this happend only for (some) projectors, external
monitors worked for me in mirroring mode no matter when I plug them in
and/or turn them on.

The only projector I could not make work (the image _is_ stable, or
should I say images, I have about five of them showing up
simultaneously :-) ) is the one in my classroom, but then it is an IBM
dinosaur which barely works with the provided desktop computer.

The key to success seems to be a recent benh kernel (I have tested all
of these with 2.4.20-pre5-ben0), all the other relevant software is
stock YDL.

Notice that I have the new tibook, with the Radeon M7, that still is
to my knowledge not fully supported under Linux.  So I see no reason
why your older, fully supported model would not work once you upgrade
the kernel.

Incidentally, I should mention that my Radeon M7 refuses to work in
any other resolution than the native one (1280x854), so I cannot
mirror the whole screen (there is a stripe to the left which is not
visible on the external monitor/data projector).  But other than this,
everything is fine.

Stefan

--
If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.