some progress w/cups

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Sep 26 18:17:01 2002

Hi Cynthia,

The problem was pretty simple to describe:
Nothing is wrorking when it comes to printing.
I selected the printer (HP DeskJet 882C), told it which port (TCP/IP, por=
t=20
9100 via a JetDirect Server), told it all the other little bits and piece=
s=20
and after everything completed, it still didn't print. No error messages,=
=20
nothing.

Eventually I decided to d/l the YDL port of CUPS (same release as the one=
 on=20
the 2.3 CDs) from rpmfind.net. I had to delete the 2 mentioned KDE packag=
es=20
to uninstall CUPS, which is ok, I guess. After installing that package, I=
 now=20
can get to CUPS via http://localhost:631/ which didn't work before, no ma=
tter=20
what. I know it started up because I could see the cupsd hanging around,=20
looking good.

My printer is now working as expected, although I have a few issues with=20
printing from Gnumerics - stuff gets cut off from the top and the bottom =
of=20
the page.

Now if I only could get a sensible image processing program (something li=
ke=20
GraphicConverter - I don't need Photoshop) for YDL ...

Best regards,
Chris