2.2 to 2.3 Upgrade from CD

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 27 10:42:01 2002

Sorry I didn't make it clear that I was using the 2.3 CD's.
There's good news and bad news, but mostly good.
I almost have a how-to, but it needs some details added.

Here it is:

As root, mount the 2.3 install CD.
Then do:

	rpm -ivh /mnt/cdrom/YellowDog/ppc/apt-0.3.19cnc55-2.3f

Insert each of the YDL CD's into the drive, but do not mount them, and do:

	apt-cdrom add          # I'm not sure if the "add" is correct, but IWFM

for each of the CD's in the set to have apt automatically add entries
to /etc/apt/sources.list for them.

Then do:

	apt-get update

Then open /etc/apt/sources.list in your favorite text editor,
and comment out all the source lines except for the ones that point to the
cdrom,
by inserting a hash mark {#} at the beginning of each line.

Then do:

	apt-get upgrade

If you are feeling brave, do:

	apt-get dist upgrade

This bombed on my system due to some dependency errors involving the older KDE
and Qt.
This resulted in the removal of KDE. I reinstalled KDE 3.0 from the CD, using
apt-get,
and it works. KDE user configurations were not lost. YMMV!

/////

To be completed, this needs info on upgrading the kernel, both with bootx and yaboot.
I'm using bootx, but I haven't upgraded the kernel yet.

When KDE blew up, I was running it, and I realized my mistake too late. Perhaps that wouldn't have happened if I had been running apt-get from a console?

If that's the problem, then it needs to be clearly stated in this how-to.

So KDE continued it's years-long unbroken record here of blowing up on any upgrade attempt, but this was the first time I ever got one back from the dead. apt-get rules!

Carl Brown cbsled@ncia.net
When there's no plan, there's one less thing to go wrong.
    -Joe Redington Sr.
-----