OT? This can't be right!

Tim Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Sep 30 16:24:01 2002

On Monday, September 30, 2002, at 08:27  AM, Beartooth wrote:
> 	Since I've been having much trouble trying to burn a CD
> with either YDL or RH, I finally tried OSX. It ftp'd a wad of old
> emails from my ISP, moved them into a file for a CD, and burned the
> CD, all fine. And I could read it -- correction: see that it was
> there, not only as a different user on OSX, but also on YDL and RH.
> So last night I tried to add more wads. (It's a CD-RW.)
>
> 	I got a canned error message saying the file couldn't be
> added to the CD because the CD couldn't be altered. Is this a bug
> in OSX, or did I goof somehow? Iirc, it gave me a choice, for the
> blank CD, only between one data format and two others (audio, I
> believe).

I assume you used the OS X built in burning software?  I don't think
that it supports session burning, which is the only way to add data to
a CD-R or CD-RW.  You probably have to use a program like Toast to burn
sessions under OS X.

Burning CDs under Linux can be kind of a pain, but it definitely can be
done.  (The main problem, IMO, is that there doesn't seem to be any
really nice GUI frontend for cdrecord -- or, at least, I've never found
one.  If you can figure out how to use cdrecord directly, it is quite
powerful and works very well.)  What programs are you using and what
are the problems you're having with them?