(no subject)

Benjamin Dembroski yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 1 02:26:02 2003

Hi.

Brand spankin' new to linux.

I am in the process of converting a bunch of old PPC's (7300/200's) to
linux. This an effort to set up an "alternative computer lab" using
only discarded computers and open source software here at the Glasgow
School of art.

Suffice it to say, none of the students that will be using this lab are
all that computer literate. (They would never go near a command line)
For the most part, they live on Photoshop and Premiere and the like. If
they are going to get along with linux, I need to make the interface as
non -intimidating as possible.

So far, so good. Lots of reading. Lots of playing. I am starting to get
the hang of it -- slowly. (I've been at this for a few weeks fiddling
in my spare time).

One wee problem. If I use the graphical login option to X, the mouse
pointer is dead. All is fine with the text based login. ANy suggestions
where to start? I googled looking for the answer, but the link to the
solutions page in YDL seems to be broken. (points to a page discussing
updating to YDL 3).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, if there are any general suggestions of how to make the
workstations as user friendly as possible, I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks.