12" PowerBook Questions

Christopher Murtagh yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 4 07:21:01 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Seth Dimbert wrote:
>1) I hate to repeat questions on the list, but I've never seen a complete
>answer to this one: Has anyone successfully installed YDL on a 12" PBG4?
>If so, is there a HOWTO yet?

 Yes I have. I've installed YDL3.0, and from what I can remember, the
install went very wel..

>2) If I install 2.3, will I have to re-install 3.0, or is it an upgrade?

 I don't think there will be an upgrade path from 2.3-->3.0. Even if there
was, I wouldn't use it.

>3) If I decide to just wait for 3.0 to come out, how should I prep the
>hard disk today?

 Re-partition with X amount of free space (where X is the number of GB you
want to allocate to YDL).

 The 12" PB is a beautiful machine. The only drag is that the battery
performance on it in MacOS X isn't very good. The official response from
Apple was that they acknowledged the problem and that it was associated
with 10.2.4. No word as to when it would get fixed. I haven't done any
objective tests, but it does seem to be better in Linux than in MacOS X.
The other drag, is that often when I would close the lid while running OS
X, and leave it for a couple of hours, the battery would get completely
drained and the machine would crash. I'm still not sure what time the
clock will say when I boot into OS X (which I don't do very often any
more).

Cheers,

Chris

--